Monday, May 14, 2018

New Book Updates!

It is a great honor to be asked, "When's the next book coming out?" For those who have private messaged me and commented on social media, I can't thank you enough.

I thought I'd take a minute to tell you where I am and where I hope to be.

My latest project is titled DARKNESS CALLS. Originally titled The Pit of Darkness, this book has gone through quite a metamorphosis (ironic and appropriate, you'll see, when you read the story).

Here's a little "what's it about" blurb:

The woods outside of a small Midwestern high school lead to all sorts of evil and monsters, collectively called the Darkness. The Darkness feeds on children with great energies—webs of light that only it can see. Beyond the woods hides a powerful magic, the greatest secret in the world. The Darkness desires to consume the webs of light and transform itself into the ultimate beast, all the while guarding the one secret that can destroy it.

Christina and Fiara fought the Darkness once before as kids, and although they survived, they certainly aren’t the same. The Darkness destroyed Christina’s family, and it turned Fiara into something not fully human. Now, it temporarily possesses Christina’s body to gather the new kids it needs.

But Christina isn’t having it this time. She refuses to willingly kill for the Darkness, and she manages to break free from its hold on her. She gathers the ones it wanted dead and forms a small army instead. From all the turbulence of adolescence to life’s biggest mysteries, a group of teenagers embark on a quest to save their friends and ultimately the world.

So, just by reading that I hope you will see that I am trying to create something BIG. That blurb represents just the first part of the story, and I've created five parts-- each told from a different character's point-of-view. I have fallen in love with these characters. Christina, Lawson, Angelica, Teddy, Fiara, Elle, Mr. Lee . . once you meet them all, I hope you will love them, too.

When can you expect it?

Well, Rabbit in Red earned tens-of-thousands of readers, and I will always be honored by its success and the fandom it created. I hope all Rabbit in Red fans will enjoy this, but I also hope Darkness Calls brings in tens-of-thousands of new readers.

So, I'm shopping the book around to agents and new publishers. 

In the meantime, I am working my a$$ off on edits. Here's a summary of that, meant to be advice to all you aspiring authors

I finished the first draft of Darkness Calls in summer 2017. I spent the fall of 2017 doing a re-write. I gathered a team of beta readers winter 2017. Based on their feedback, I re-wrote the book again. Then I found a second team of beta readers early 2018. Re-wrote the book again. Now, I'm working with my Rabbit in Red editor Kathy Teel to go over it one more time. Yes, it's another re-write! 

If it sounds like a lot of work, well, it is! But every edit, every rewrite, every revision takes me one step closer to making this my best book yet. I want to give it my best, and that's why I'm providing you with this update. Yeah, I think you may have enjoyed it just fine, if I had published it already. But by taking a little extra time and collaborating with others, I hope you will LOVE it.

Wish me luck, too, please. Some of you may think it's a given that because I'm already published, I will have no problem publishing this one. Unless you self-publish or run your own publishing company, this is a very challenging industry. So, I need your well wishes and positive thoughts!

If I'm "lucky" (and by lucky I mean if I've worked hard enough to make it happen!), I hope to announce a new partnership this summer. Stay tuned, my friends!




No comments:

Post a Comment