This list was originally published on my Facebook page, but a lot of people seemed to enjoy it, so I'll add it here to the blog:
As 2018 approaches, I wanted to create a list for aspiring authors. If you write and want to be published, or know someone who does, maybe this simple little list will help provide some insight or inspiration.
1. Do not pay to be published. Pay for a workshop or class and learn about publishing (call your local libraries and community colleges and see what they offer).
2. Do not pay to be entered in a contest. Like #1, there are too many people who take advantage of dreamers. Be cautious and critical when swimming in publishing and literary waters.
3. Read #mswl to get ideas that people want to read. (Take time to know what #mswl means.)
4. Ask yourself: who and where are my readers and how can I reach them? Think WAY outside Amazon!
5. Ask for criticism in the re-writing process. Be open to it. Know that editing and re-writing are the hardest but most rewarding parts.
6. Your BEST friends will always support you, but realize 99% of your social media friends won’t care about your book. See #4.
7. Write because you love it, not for fame or money. You may have great months, and you may be lucky enough to get 15 minutes of fame. But the only thing that is consistent is your own passion. Remember that.
8. Read different genres, old and new, and learn from them.
9. There are a few people with great natural talent, and although I admire that, I don’t think the incredibly talented can teach very well. Learn from those who took an average/above-average talent and made their work highly successful. They’ve got secrets we can actually learn.
10. Collaborate with artists from different mediums. Learn what inspires musicians and filmmakers, and you’ll find new insight and inspiration, too.
Happy (almost) New Year. Keep writing!
The final book in the Rabbit in Red trilogy is now available!
If you want print, call your favorite local bookstore and ask them to order BURY THE RABBIT by Joe Chianakas. I always encourage you to support local.
Prefer digital? I encourage you to read on the TAPAS app, the best digital reading app, hands down. Go here, and use code JOEC820Z to get 200 bonus coins.
Or get your Kindle copy here.