Thursday, February 7, 2019

My New Agents and New Novel!



Writing is such an incredible journey. I don't like to view my writing career in terms of touchdowns or goals completed. I'm in this for the long haul, thanks to enthusiastic readers like you. Today, I want to tell you what's happening with my next big novel, DARKNESS CALLS.

I have been offered and have accepted literary representation from Patty Carothers and Amy Brewer of Metamorphosis Literary Agency!


Patty called me a couple weeks ago and we had THE TALK. I was immediately impressed. She had insights about my novel that no other agent had provided. She compared the creepy vibe of the book to Stephen King's IT (how could I not love her?)! But it wasn't all compliments. It was also a discussion of areas within the book that could be improved.

That's what I'm looking for. I could have self-published any time and relied on the readers and success of Rabbit in Red. But I'm not interested in publishing just any old book. I'm interested in writing the best book I can and taking it to new heights.

What's DARKNESS CALLS about? I'd like to save the official synopsis and back-of-the-book blurbs for a later date. We'll have lots of exciting things to share in the future. What I will tell you is this: there are monsters, there is death, and there is true horror. This is ultimately about life and death, and how we experience tragedy (can we find our light within the darkness?). It's easily one of the most meaningful books I've written. The first draft was written during the last year of my mom's life. Subsequent drafts took place after she passed. Is the Darkness a metaphor for the cancer that took her? It's not that simple. But sure, the Darkness takes the people we love, and some very special people will be called to face it.

It's the coolest thing I've ever written, and I can't wait to share it with you. But be patient. I will work with my agents to do another round of edits, and then we shop it around to publishers (probably this summer). In the meantime, I hope you'll continue to follow me. I'll give you updates, but I'll also be sharing what I learn about this process-- tips for other authors, my favorite reads, and more.

And, of course, I'll never forget about Rabbit in Red. The trilogy holds a special place in my heart. For my readers, I hope you'll look forward to Darkness Calls. Plus, don't forget one of my short stories from Nightmares under the Moonlight is currently being made into a short film! That's going to be a lot of fun, and I'll certainly post updates about that, too.

Thanks for following the rabbit with me. Now, let's explore the Darkness.

No photo description available.

:)

- Joe

LINKS TO FOLLOW, IF YOU WOULD BE SO COOL:

Follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram

Explore my website and be sure to sign up for the newsletter.

Learn more about Metamorphosis Literary Agency here.

*****

ALSO, and I know this is going to sound like an acknowledgements section, but I don't care. A lot of great people have helped the book get this far, and I owe a thank you.

The first reading group consisted of Brian McWilliams, Brandy Kennington, and Rachel Hollis. 

After its first big revision, I reached out to some Rabbit in Red fans and other friends/readers. Thanks go to Cari Corbin, Jennifer Flaig, Kristen Kelly, Spencer Mullikin, Valerie Robert, and Katie Jackson. 

I then took the manuscript to my editor, Kathy Calore Teel in spring 2018. She’s exceptionally talented, and I can’t thank her enough.

Thank you to local journalist Elise Zwicky has always been exceptional at catching my typos. 

Last but certainly not least, my amazing friend and colleague, Tracy Walper, worked with me on the story's writing style. We rewrote section after section, and she's got one of the best eyes in the business, that's for sure.

Don't stray too far, friends. I've got some more work to do :) 



No comments:

Post a Comment