Saturday, September 6, 2014

Back to school

A silly little poem I wrote and shared on Facebook the day before school started this year, Aug 17, 2014.

Another summer come and gone.
Reflecting on a Sunday evening,
Students and teachers alike
Hope for a school year with meaning.

I’ve set my coffee maker timer.
And I’m ready to motivate.
I hope by 9:00 a.m.
That I’m ready to communicate.


It’s year 14 for me
And I want it to be fun.
But I swear if a cell phone goes off,
That kid better run.

I’m excited to lecture, excited to write.
Will it be the same come December?
Or will Christmas come early
And turn me into a Grinch by November?

Will I change the world?
Will I be clever?
Will I at least get a red hot chili pepper
On Rate my Professor?

I hope for at least some,
My class makes a difference.
I’m sure for at least one,
We’ll be happy to say good riddance.

Some will have drama,
Others will have tears.
Some will have babies,
And some will find careers.

So here’s to another school year,
To the good and the bad,
But when you’re excited on a Sunday night,
You know this job ain’t half bad



Rabbit in Red, my upcoming novel, is quite a different tale than this poem, but I'm excited to introduce you to it. Just a little over a month away!

You can follow me on Facebook or Twitter, and it would be pretty cool if you subscribed to my blog, too :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment