Sunday, April 26, 2015

The Paradox of Horror: Pleasure and Pain

I've got a question for you: If you enjoy horror stories, do you take pleasure in the fear, the pain, and/or the gore? Why or why not?

If you don't enjoy horror stories, what don't you like about those feelings of fear and suffering?



I have my own answers of course, but I want to know what YOU think. I'm excited to be working on my first horror themed presentation. It's not until October, but I like planning out all of my thoughts well in advance. I'm timing my first horror talk with the most popular month for horror stories, and it will take place just a couple of weeks after the release of my horror adventure, Rabbit in Red.

When I think of watching a horror movie or reading a scary story, I evaluate it based on my physical reactions. If I grimace, turn away, close my eyes, jump, have nightmares: that's the story I, perhaps ironically, love and recommend to others! Isn't that crazy? Or is it just the joy of horror? :) That's the paradox of horror I'm exploring. If I'm not scared or don't react in a physical manner to the story, then eh, the story probably gets a bad review.

I think some people consider the pain, the gore, the fear you experience in horror as A) something you must endure to reap other benefits, such as seeing our hero survive or the mystery unfold, or B) something that produces a physical reaction-- the adrenaline rush-- as something actually pleasurable, similar to the rush one gets on a roller coaster. 

So what do you think? Do you take pleasure in horror? Why or why not?

I've also updated my author website, which includes adding my first horror talk to the list of upcoming events. Check out my that site if you have a chance. It includes all the links to my other social media sites, and I hope you'll follow me on my journey of horror! I have quite a few other questions and themes I'm exploring for not only my upcoming talk but other stories I'm currently writing. 

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to your comments!


No comments:

Post a Comment