Monday, April 23, 2012

My regrets


I don’t promote thinking about regrets, but I definitely have several I try to ignore. One of the biggest regrets I have is “Why didn’t I do this sooner? Or more consistently?” 

When I finished my second master’s degree, my regret was that I did not go for it earlier. Life would have been so much better if I had completed this hard work when I was younger, right?

When I earned my black belt, I wished that I had started martial arts at age 6 instead of age 12 because then I would have been so much more advanced.

When I complete a fitness program, I regret that I did not start sooner. What if I had completed these programs years ago instead of doing them now? I think about how much better I would be in shape, if only I had started earlier. I could have found the time if I really wanted to do so. I just did not have the resources or the motivation.

I bang my head when I think of the results I would already have if I had started these programs—and stuck with them consistently—years ago. 

But there is a flip-side to regret. The first idea to apply is that the regrets diminish the moment you start applying yourself. The regrets are bigger the longer you wait, so do not wait any longer to begin the journey for your goals. 

The other thing I tell myself is that I would not be who I am today if I did things differently, and I am happy with who I am. The timing of my second master’s degree led to my dream job. The timing of my martial arts training led to a national award winning martial arts program. The timing of my current fitness goals led to me becoming a fitness instructor, a coach, this blog, and the daily encouragement I try to give to others to get started.

So I want you to picture who you could be and who you could influence if you complete your goals. The potential for inspiration we have is limitless. Do not regret not having pursued your goals yesterday; regret that you are not pursuing your goals today. Make a change, make a commitment, and make a difference. Today.

 If you like what you're reading, please consider following. Just enter your e-mail on the right column to subscribe!

 



No comments:

Post a Comment