Monday, April 30, 2012

The “Sexy and I Know It” Attitude


Here’s the thing about working out: You don’t have to lose 50 pounds or be some skinny model to feel good. Once you start exercising regularly, you feel better about yourself. You confidence, your self-worth, the way you feel about your body: It all gets better no matter your size.

In fact, I do not recommend beginning a fitness program with the hope that you will drop ten sizes. I do not want people to give up eating and starve themselves. I simply know you will feel better.

Even in your first few weeks, you will feel better about how you look. You will smile more. You will smile more at yourself in the mirror no matter your size. You don’t have to be skinny to feel this way.

Science supports this feeling through the study of endorphins. Keeping your heart rate high during cardio workouts for an extended period of time produces a natural high. You feel better about everything. You will even get to a place where you will want to work out to keep that feeling. Just like someone addicted to a drug, you will want to keep that high, but you will be doing it in a healthy way.

If you do not exercise now, the idea that you could get addicted to exercise may sound ridiculous. People scoff at the idea of having to workout.  But trust me, that will change.

I admit I enjoy the pop culture song “Sexy and I know It.” What I like most is not the music; I like the attitude. It does not matter what you weigh or what size jeans you wear. What matters is how you feel.

So ask yourself, “do you feel sexy?” If the answer is “yes,” then good for you! If the answer is anything other than yes, then it is time for a change. Start a fitness program, but don’t start with a huge goal of losing 50 or 100 pounds. Start with a simple goal of wanting to feel better.

I do not exercise to look a certain way. Our weight and muscle tone will fluctuate through life, and if we are obsessed with a number or a size, we will always be unhappy. I exercise because I want to feel better mentally. You can set goals to lose weight and gain muscle, but start simple: go for 5-10 pounds, for example. Your bigger goal should be to feel better, and you will feel better, no matter your weight.

You will dance happily to “Sexy and I Know It” and you will feel awesome. And that’s why we do it.




No comments:

Post a Comment