Friday, October 21, 2016

Day 21 of 31 Days of Halloween!

I was challenged by my local Barnes & Noble to develop a list of 31 horror movies to watch, one a day for October. My only problem is that I couldn't pick just one.

For October 21, enjoy the following picks!

Horror Author Joe Chianakas pick-of-the-day:

THEY LIVE

Image result for They Live

I love this one for so many reasons. It starts with Rowdy Roddy Piper (RIP) and the classic line "I came here to kick ass and chew bubblegum, and I'm all out of bubblegum." Yes, it's that fun, but it's even deeper than that. It's got something to say about conformity, and becoming brainwashed zombies, don't you think?

Available on: Cinemax

Rabbit in Red pick-of-the-day (a movie referenced in my horror series):

HALLOWEEN III: THE SEASON OF THE WITCH


Image result for Halloween III 

So, as a kid, I fell in love with Halloween I and II and Michael Myers. When I heard there was a part III, I biked to the video store to rent it. When I came home, I enthusiastically popped in the VHS tape to enjoy the latest Myers slashfest. I was HUGELY disappointment. No Michael Myers. Nothing of the sorts. How dare they?!

Years went by, and after I stopped being bitter because I was a kid who just didn't know better, I gave it a second chance. Not bad, I thought. Then another year I watched it again. That's pretty clever, actually.

Now, I love it and watch it every Halloween. The catchy jingle, a similar theme to THEY LIVE at times, and originality: it's a good flick. If you look up why there's no Michael, you'll understand that the producers had wanted to do an American Horror Story kind of series. It just didn't work out, because stupid kids like me got annoyed and didn't know better :)

Available on: AMC, iTunes, Amazon


The Magnificent Movie Emporium pick (join the movie group by clicking the link if you enjoy discussing your favorite movies!):

THE DESCENT

Image result for The Descent

The critics loved it, and so did the users over at Rotten Tomatoes. An all-female cast, trapped in caves, the epitome of claustrophobia: it's a haunting ride! Do you like it? Head over to The Magnificent Movie Emporium Facebook group and tell us about it!

Available on: iTunes. Amazon

Want more? My friend Bryan at Fitz of Horror, the hottest horror movie page on Facebook, is posting favorite movies by the HOUR this month!

Get Rabbit in Red, the book voted FAVORITE HORROR BOOK OF 2016, today!



Available at Barnes and Noble, online retailers like Amazon, or request a copy from your favorite, local bookstore or library.

You can read it on the app, Tapas!

You can get a signed copy from our Etsy shop.

The audio book is available for those who prefer to listen! Get it on AmazonAudible, or iTunes!

Follow the author on Facebook or Twitter.

The second book in the series, Burn the Rabbit, is available now, too.



Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment